It all started in 1885
Ingleton has been well-known for its caves and magnificent mountain scenery since the 18th century, but after a series of articles appeared in the local press, public curiosity prompted the appointment of an Improvements Company to make the waterfalls accessible to the public.
The 19th Century
The trail first opened on 11th April, 1885, charging a 2d entrance fee. Thousands of visitors flocked to Ingleton by train from towns such as Bradford, Manchester and Leeds. In fact the trail’s popularity can be demonstrated by June 1888 when 3840 people visited Ingleton in one day alone.